Thank you for your interest in becoming a Foster Parent!
Henry’s Haven is always in great need of foster volunteer parents.
The Foster Care Program exists to help animals that have already been surrendered for adoption. If you have a personal pet that you cannot keep for a period of time because of a personal problem, please look into local boarding/daycare facilities.
Temporary homes are needed for the following types of animals:
- Mama cats or dogs with kittens or puppies too young to be placed for adoption.
- Orphan kittens or puppies, without a mama, in need of bottle-feeding. (We supply the milk replacement formula).
- Kittens or puppies who are weaned but still need several weeks in a home before they are old enough to be spayed/neutered and placed in adoptions.
- Sick or injured animals that need time to rest and receive medication in a home.
- Foster homes are also needed for adult cats that need socializing. Sometimes, these animals are just kennel-shy and don’t show well at the shelter. Other animals don’t do well at the shelter and benefit from TLC in a foster home.
- Medicine will be supplied by HH for sick animals.
- Kitten or puppy milk replacement formula will be provided for orphaned babies without a mama.
- We ask that foster parents provide the food for their foster pets unless otherwise indicated for a sick animal.
- In the Spring and Summer, our greatest need is for mama cats with litters, bottle feeding kittens, and orphaned kittens that are not bottle feeding but need more time before being ready for adoption.
- If you wish to be a foster parent, it is your responsibility to ensure that your own pets are current on their vaccinations. This includes Bordetella.
- Foster time in homes ranges from 10 days to approximately 2 months. We ask that you keep the animal(s) as long as it takes to ensure their good health and are ready for adoption.
FOSTER A CAT
To fill out the Foster Care Application online, please complete the form below. For more information about becoming a foster parent, please call the Foster Care Team at 540-450-7918, or email email@example.com. Please be sure to read our Foster Parent Policy found below.
Being a foster parent is fun and rewarding. You are literally a lifesaver!
- Foster placement is at the sole discretion of Henry’s Haven.
- The foster family must complete the Foster Application and sign the applicable Foster Care Agreement(s).
- You must be willing to provide the animal(s) with proper care including food, water, appropriate shelter, grooming, and veterinary care and medication if necessary. As needed, foster homes must be willing to seek medical treatment for their foster animals with HH per the instructions provided by HH staff.
- Foster volunteers who seek medical treatment for foster animals without pre-approval from HH supervisory staff will be responsible for all expenses.
- If extensive or significant medical treatment is required, HH may request the return of the animal(s).
- Fostering an animal may improve an animal’s chance to be adopted, but it does not guarantee that an animal will be adopted.
- Because we cannot hold animals in need of foster, you will be asked to make your decision to foster quickly.
- If you are called, and you are not able to foster, know that you may say “No” and still be considered active in the program for future foster care opportunities.
- Generally, only one litter may be fostered at any given time.
- Animals of different species may be fostered at the same time in a single foster home when feasible and within reason.
- Unaltered (fertile) animals of the same species and unvaccinated cats and dogs may disqualify a foster placement.
- As we have a limited supply of animal crates, the foster family may be asked to provide a crate for the foster animal(s).
- Your foster animals are owned by HH. Fosters are welcome and encouraged to alert the shelter of prospective adopters, but under no circumstances are foster volunteers to place their foster animals in other homes or make any promises to possible adopters. Any potential adopters identified through foster homes must go through the regular HH adoption process.
We sincerely appreciate your time and commitment to helping animals in need, thank you.